DONATIONS GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED



*****This is a labour of love but takes a great deal of time - any donations would be greatly appreciated*****

Saturday, July 11, 2015

#17 - Ellon Bridge

As you can see from the front of the postcard, this is a photo of the Auld Bridge in Ellon.  Built in 1793, the bridge is category A listed and still used as a pedestrian bridge.  Ellon is a commuter community north of Aberdeen that also hosts the remains of Ellon Castle.  The river Ythan runs under that bridge and through the town of nearly 10,000 people.  


Here's a photo of Ellon Castle - just for fun:


Here's what the bridge looks like today taken from the other side - note the buildings on the right in this photo are the ones to the left of the bridge in the other (care of Google StreetView):


The reverse side of the postcard reads:  "DJ Thanks very much for PPC.  Glad to hear you arrived home all save.  I am feeling the effects of the granite too.  Nellie."  It is postmarked March 3, 1910 from Aberdeen.  I presume PPC is "Picture Post Card," though most frequently people have been shortening it to PC.  But that last line is a bit of a question mark for me.  I can only speculate, but I have to think that Jack had gone to Aberdeen (the Granite City) to visit Nellie and perhaps they had gone to the quarry?   Or if someone from the area has a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.


Jack was still in Scotland at this time, but preparing to head to Canada.  A visit (or several) to his fiancĂ© would make sense.

I hadn't really thought of it before, but Jack and Nellie hung onto these postcards for a reason (or two).  My Great-Uncle Jim, the last time I saw him, told me that they used to have these postcards in a big album on the coffee table in the living room - their own picture book.  I'm sure they were wonderful visual reminders of the home they had left forever, but also of that sweet time in a couple's existence:  courtship.

2 comments:

  1. Feeling the effects of the granite may perhaps just mean she was feeling the effects of being in the Granite City.

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind and only post comments about the post subject material